Straight Talk from Silva Furniture for Families in Louisville, Kentucky
You’re expecting your first child—congratulations!! It’s exciting, but it’s also a little nerve-wracking, isn’t it? Raising a child is a lot of work, a lot of responsibility and it doesn’t come cheap. You want to do the right thing, but you’ve never done this before.
Here’s what you really need to know. Over the last two decades, over 1.3 million cribs have been taken off the market because of serious safety issues, including
- Suffocation risks posed by large gaps between the side of the crib and the mattress
- Inadequate support for the mattress, causing it to fall to the floor
- Improperly spaced spindles (or poorly secured spindles) that cause a child to get stuck or fall out of the crib
- Paint or other finishes that can chip and can be swallowed
- Toxic substances in the paint or finish
In fact, in light of the serious concerns about the safety of many cribs on the market, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) established new safety guidelines for cribs in 2011, advising parents not to purchase cribs that didn’t meet the new standards.
Unfortunately, that hasn’t stopped the market from being flooded with substandard (and dangerous) cribs and other children’s furniture. The purveyors of those products view potential injuries to your child as nothing more than the cost of doing business—all they really want is your money.
At Silva Furniture, that’s never been the way we do business and it’s never been the way we view children. As parents ourselves, when making any type of purchase for our children, we think first and foremost about their safety. So do our customers. We acknowledge the importance of long-term value for your dollar, and we know that the look of the furniture matters, too—we’ve intentionally designed our furniture to last and to look pleasing. But we’ll gladly sacrifice those features to keep your child safe. We use only the highest quality materials, and carefully follow CPSC guidelines, so that we can provide safe and durable furniture that costs you less in the long run.
For more information about our cribs, dressers and other children’s furniture, or to make a purchase, complete and submit the convenient contact form below or call us at 833-854-7587. We ship to families throughout the United States, including in Louisville and throughout the state of Kentucky.
Click on the links below to shop our wide selection of children’s furniture:
Silva Furniture—Safe Children’s Furniture for Parents in Louisville
At Silva Furniture, we pay close attention to every detail, so that we can craft long-lasting products that maximize your child’s safety:
- All of our cribs are fashioned out of solid beechwood, one of the world’s most revered hardwoods. Comparable to oak or hard maple, beechwood is highly resistant to variations in temperature or humidity, so it retains its structural integrity. It also has a density and heft that make it virtually impossible for an infant to topple. Those mass-produced cribs, however, are typically assembled with composites or plywood, which deteriorate and warp over time, posing significant safety concerns.
- We also use solid hardwood for any exposed parts in our dressers and other children’s furniture. We include a wall-anchoring kit with every dresser, and our dresser drawers use high-quality, soft-closing German drawer hardware, preventing pinched fingers, and extending the longevity of the drawers. In independent tests, the closing mechanisms had nearly 80,000 uses… almost 70 years!
- We have chosen to have all our furniture crafted in Europe, by skilled and dedicated workers who share our values. We don’t make decisions about where our furniture is built based on where we can find the cheapest labor.
- We use English dovetails for all the joinery in our furniture. Revered among professional woodworkers for their integrity and strength, dovetails are also one of the most attractive ways to build furniture. In addition, all Silva furniture is crafted using only child-safe glues. Cheap cribs typically connectors that pose safety risks to a child, including nails, screws, dowels and even plastic connectors.
- The corner blocks on all our furniture are solid wood, with no metal braces or other sharp objects that can harm your child
- We know that small children can chew on just about anything. All our furniture has a water-based or vegetable-based finish, so a little crib-noshing won’t harm your child. The finishes on most mass-produced children’s furniture often contain lead, formaldehyde or phthalates, or other “volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- All of the wood for our furniture is obtained exclusively from sustainable sources on the European continent that are compliant with regulations established by the FSC. We also source all our hardware and finishes in Europe as well.
At Silva, we use the guidelines established by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to inform all our decisions about design and construction. To ensure compliance, we regularly bring designs and products to independent testing facilities for review and comment.
Silva Furniture—A Great Investment for Families in Louisville
- It’s an investment in the health and safety of your child, one that will pay untold dividends for the rest of your life
- It’s a good financial investment as well—instead of purchasing a new place for your child to sleep every few years, you can buy our 4-in-1 crib, which will last until your child goes away to college. Simply convert the crib to a toddler bed and then to a regular kid’s bed. It’s the only purchase you’ll ever have to make.
Silva—We Understand the Importance of Design, Too
We know what you’re thinking—it sounds great, but I want it to look nice in the nursery, and I don’t want my teenager embarrassed to have friends for a sleepover. Our commitment to timeless design ensures that you have attractive children’s furniture that’s durable and offers long-term value.
Silva Furniture—Safe, Durable and Affordable Children’s Furniture
At Silva Furniture, we make cribs, beds, dressers and other children’s furniture that give top priority to the safety and well-being of your child, while simultaneously offering long-term value and aesthetic appeal. To learn more about our wide selection of children’s furniture, call us today at 833-854-7587 or send us a message through our convenient contact form. We ship our furniture to families in Louisville, across the state of Kentucky, and throughout the country.