You’ve made the big announcement—you’re expecting your first child. It’s an exciting and even nerve-wracking time, and a time when you’ll get advice from absolutely everyone. Well-meaning friends and family will tell you which crib or dresser you have to buy, or they’ll send you a link to the “Top 5,””Top 10,” or “Top 17 Things You Need to Know When Buying a Crib!” When you go to those websites, though, you’ll quickly discover that the so-called “experts” are self-proclaimed, usually hawking their products, assuring you that their bargain basement cribs will keep your child safe. But does it really make sense that you’ll pay more for three Frappuccinos than you will for the bed where your child will sleep?
Let’s cut to the chase here—the thing that matters most when you’re shopping for a crib or other furniture for your child—will it jeopardize their health or safety? Parents know this, but many product manufacturers haven’t received the message. Otherwise, why have there been more than 1.3 million cribs recalled in the last 15 years? Why would the Consumer Product Safety Commission have to issue an entire new set of safety guidelines for the design and manufacture of cribs in 2011?
At Silva Furniture, we are parents, too. We know what’s important to you and have been committed for more than 30 years to designing and making furniture for your children that gives top priority to their health, safety and well-being. We understand, too, though, that raising a child can be expensive and that you’re looking for long-term value. Our 4-in-1 cribs adapt as your child grows, so that you only need to purchase one bed from the time your child is born until it’s time to head off to college. We use only the best materials and use methods that ensure our furniture lasts for generations.
What You Won’t Get with Mass Production Children’s Furniture
At Silva Furniture, your child’s safety is more than just an idea, it drives everything we do.
- We craft all our cribs from solid beechwood, one of the world’s most revered hardwoods, known for its stability, integrity and durability. Similar to oak or hard maple, beechwood has a tight grain that shields it from the damaging effects of temperature and humidity, so that the bed remains structurally sound for decades. Most of those inexpensive cribs use plywood or other wood composites that warp or break down with time. The dense beechwood also adds a weight and gravity to the cribs that make them virtually impossible to tip over.
- All of our children’s furniture is crafted in Europe, with skilled craftsmen and craftswomen whose first priority is quality. Most of the cheap children’s furniture is manufactured in other parts of the world, by companies focused on finding the cheapest labor.
- Because we know we are leaving our world to our children, we believe we have a responsibility to be stewards of the planet. For that reason, our wood is sourced entirely from sustainable sources compliant with FSC. Our hardware and finishes are made in Europe as well.
- Our cribs, dressers and other children’s furniture is held together with English dovetails, known for their structural strength and integrity. These dovetails use no screws, nails or plastics that can pose a risk of injury to your child, or that can compromise the structural integrity of the furniture.
- We use solid wood corner brackets to bring stability to all our children’s furniture. That means no sharp edges and no small, detachable parts—both common in bargain basement children’s furniture-- that can add an additional risk to your child.
- At Silva, we understand what happens during the teething process—your child will try to chomp down on anything in sight, including the furniture. That’s why we only use water-based or vegetable-based finishes on our cribs. A lot of cheap children’s furniture uses finishes containing “volatile organic compounds (VOCs),” often leading to product recalls. With our furniture, your child can sink their teeth in and not risk exposure to any such as lead, formaldehyde or phthalates, or other hard-to-spell chemicals.
- At Silva, we craft all our furniture in strict compliance with Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guidelines. We frequently take new designs or products to independent testing centers for review and comment, so that we have assurances that our furniture won’t pose a risk of harm to your child.
- We also use solid hardwood for any exposed parts of our dressers and other furniture, stabilizing the furniture against the impact of fluctuations in temperature or humidity. Our dressers all come with a wall-anchoring kit, and use state-of-the-art soft-closing German drawer hardware, helping protect large and small fingers. The closing mechanisms have an unparalleled life expectancy—about 80,000 uses in independent tests…that’s about 70 years!
Silva Furniture—An Investment in the Health and Safety of Your Child
Look—we understand—bringing up a child ain’t cheap. But don’t think of the expense…think of the investment, in both your future and your child’s future.
That’s the way we view furniture, too. With our 4-in-1 cribs, you’ll only make one purchase that will last from the day you come home from the hospital until your child goes out the door to college. You won’t have to buy a bed every time your child outgrows the one you have, or it falls apart. It’s a great return on an 18-year investment!
Silva Furniture—Bringing Safety, Durability and Value to Children’s Furniture
At Silva Furniture, we make cribs, beds, dressers and other children’s furniture that promotes the safety and well-being of your child while offering long-term value and visual appeal. To learn more about our wide selection of children’s furniture, call us today at 980-585-1460 or send us a message through our convenient contact form. We ship our furniture to locations throughout Wisconsin, including Madison.